Sunday, September 28, 2014

Blog Post #6

What Did I Learn From Anothny Capps?


Anthony Capps is a former student at South Alabama who is now a 3rd grade teacher at Gulf Shores Elementary. One of our assignments this week was to watch a series of conversations between Anthony and our EDM 310 professor Dr. Strange. These videos gave a unique look at the personal experiences and rewards that has come along with Project Based Learning in Anthony's classroom. I have learned that not only is it a great and rewarding learning experience for students but for teachers as well.  

The first two videos I watched were Part 1 and Part 2 of "Project Based Learning: Experiences of a Third Grade Teacher." From these videos I learned that through PBL students are creating something they can be excited about which helps to motivate them in learning. I also learned that it is important to not limit the students on what they can do. If you create an opportunity for them to reach beyond what you want them to learn, you will get way more than expected. Also, a very important part of PBL is giving the students the opportunity to revise and reflect on their work. These videos also gave a great example of how teachers are also learners through PBL. By listening to his students during projects, Anthony was able to get valuable feedback on what the students like about certain projects which he could use for future ideas.

I also watched videos on iCurio and Discovery Education. iCurio is an online tool that serves a search engine. However, the unique thing about this search engine is that it is a safe but effective search engine for students. It also allows students to learn how to store content they like. It gives them practice at organizing themselves online.  I had never heard of iCurio before however, just yesterday I was able to observe in a 1st grade class and see how they use Discovery Education. Discovery Education is like an online digital textbook. Not only does it give pictures and text on a subject but it also gives another level of expertise in the classroom through videos. It enables students to compare what they are reading to what they can also see. 

Another great lesson I learned was to use technology instead of teaching it. This video showed me that teaching technology shouldn't be a part of regular curriculum but rather structured into the assignments that are being taught. Students should be allowed to use a technology tool to do research, then reflect on any issues or mistakes they had so that when the time comes they have that experience they can take on to the next tool they will learn to use. 

Lastly, I would like to mention one of the most valuable things I gained through these videos and that is the tips for teachers. The tips that stood out to me the most were to always be interested in continuing to learn myself, that teaching is very hard work but exciting and fun at the same time, to continue to find new ways of keeping students engaged and finally, to constantly reflect on my work as a teacher so that I can revise and strive to make it better.



It is possible







2 comments:

  1. Hollie,
    I really enjoyed watching these videos and hearing stories from a new teacher. My favorite part was hearing the success that Anthony Capps had with project based learning. Do you have any ideas for using PBL in your future classroom? I based my PLN around project based learning so for me it was great to hear stories of how well Mr. Capps did with his students. I think you did well discreetly adding links into your blog. It really helps readers to better understand when they have access to the same knowledge as you.

    ReplyDelete