Saturday, September 6, 2014

Blog Post #3

How Can You Provide Meaningful Feedback to Your Peers?

 
What is Peer Editing?

    This Prezi presentation defines peer editing as working with classmates to help improve one another's writing skills. It is broken down into a three step action plan:
  1. Compliments - tell them what they did well.
  2. Suggestions - give them some suggestions about the choice of words they used.
  3. Corrections - make corrections on their spelling, grammar, etc. in a positive manner.
Peer Edit With Perfection Tutorial

   The Peer Edit With Perfection Tutorial goes a bit further in providing some great examples of how to give quality compliments, suggestions and corrections. I believe you can give meaningful feedback to your peers by giving kind, thoughtful suggestions for improvement. A good thing to remember while editing your peers work is to remain positive. I hope that by providing positive feedback to my peers, I would help to boost their performance.

The video Writing Peer Review Top 10 Mistakes by Tim Bedley gives great examples of the types of negative feedback that you would want to avoid while evaluating your peers work. I think that giving negative, judgmental feedback could potentially cause someone to have a poor opinion of themselves and possibly loose their motivation. On the flip side, I hope that when a fellow peer is editing my work, I can keep an open mind and  be receptive to their suggestions and/or corrections. I think a good rule to follow while peer editing would be to treat others work with the respect and care that you would want your own to be treated with.

Editing a Paper With a Red Pen




2 comments:

  1. I love how you said "providing positive feedback" "would help boost their performance" because I feel the same way. Being negative just discourages people and causes them to not even try. I think that creating a link for "Peer Editing Perfection Tutorial" would greatly benignity your post so readers can visit and learn more about peer editing. Also I think you should add a comma after suggestions where it says "compliments, suggestions and corrections." Other than that everything is very well written. Great job!

    ReplyDelete