Saturday, September 20, 2014

Blog Post #5

PLNs What Are They?


    Before I started EDM 310 I had never heard of a Personal Learning Network (PLN). A PLN is a network of connections by which you can share and gather information that can be a vast source of learning. These connections can be made through social media outlets such as Twitter and Facebook. Teachers for example can use a PLN to connect with other teachers all over the world. They can share their experiences, ideas, knowledge, etc.

   In researching PLNs this week I realized that I already had a type of PLN through sharing with and learning from my friends and family. However, online collaboration through the web can really build up and expand your PLN! The first step in creating a PLN would be getting connected on a social media site like Twitter. I have recently joined twitter and I am also using Facebook and Pinterest. On twitter I have began following a few resources that I believe will be valuable to me now and when I begin teaching. My favorite social network right now is Pinterest. Pinterest is like a visual bookmark where you can search for projects and ideas and "pin" those that you like to board where you can go back and reference them later.

   Another useful tool I learned about this week is called Symbaloo. Symbaloo is like an "internet desktop" that allows you to search the web and assemble your favorite sites all on one page. I just began learning how to personalize and use Symbaloo but so far I think it is going to be very helpful to me now and in the future.

PLN begins with you

2 comments:

  1. PLN was new to me also. I have never heard of Symbaloo before. I think I might have to look into that one this week. It sounds interesting and fun to use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post! Good luck continuing to build your PLN.

    ReplyDelete