Sunday, September 14, 2014

C4T #1

I was assigned to read the blog of Dean Shareski. Dean is the Community Manager for Discovery Education Canada. He was also a teacher and technology consultant for 24 years in Moose Jaw, SK, Canada.


Post #1

And What Do You Mean by.... discussed certain words and phrases like accountability, data driven, student achievement, etc., and how they are used by leaders when concerning education.  While these words in themselves may not be especially offending, this post suggest that when is comes to education reform, these words and phrases can send understated or blatant messages to students and teachers. Shareski goes on to give a brief explanation or argument as to why he believes these words can at times sound oppressive. 

In my comment to this post I stated that I agreed with several of the points he made in particular to those relating to "data driven" and "student achievement." I stated that it seemed to me there was an overemphasis on standardized testing in school systems. I also said that i have heard from several teachers that they don't get to teach the way they want because they are either prepping for tests or are drowning in paperwork. As a result I can see the way these terms can seem "oppressive" to teachers and students.

The weight of standardized testing on student who just want to learn.



Post #2


Put the Laptops Away discusses the use of technology devices in class. It raises the question if using devices like laptops can be more positive or negative for the student. It also mentions identifying the lesson being taught and considering whether incorporating technology could make the lesson stronger or, weaken it. 

In my comment to this second post I stated that in a K-12 perspective, I think the use of a device can encourage the students to become more engaged with what is being taught in class. However, what can help to engage some can be a distraction for others. In regards to this I told him that I liked his idea of considering the class, assignments and students before thinking of not using technology in the classroom.

Students using tablets in the classroom




No comments:

Post a Comment